Saturday 1 March 2014

I was recently shopping for a laptop, the mini variety which was also popular as net-book the last time I took a stroll looking for one. For folks who are new to the domain, these are small laptops with screen sizes of 10 to 11 inches. Most of them came with colorful and artful tops. I find them handy for browsing and creation of documents. Carrying them around is such a pleasure when compared to normal laptops. I was surprised when I did not find them on the shelves.I did a 360 degree search of stores and came up empty. Their space was now taken over by tabs and ultra desktops with touch screens. They all carry high price tags minus the artful decor.

May be I am old fashioned but I feel that the net-books deserved their rightful place under the Sun. Computer makers could have extended their lives by a few more years. After a lot of useless leg work looking for one I felt let down by all the computer makers. Touch screens are fine for certain trivial tasks and pursuits but we hardhats require the power of a laptop to get our day to day chores completed. Net-books filled a niche for most of us with out the bulk of their 15 inch cousins. I hope I am not singular in wishing for a grand revival of the mini. So I say to computer makers, "Bring back the Mini"! Let the art rule once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment