Sunday 6 March 2016

D is for Dedication!

The other day I ran into our favourite insecticide man. He looked chirpy and as always looked like a man on a mission. For over forty years he has been making our drains safer and free from pesky pests. His trademark tank on his back he went to work with gusto after a customary greeting.

My thoughts went to the day I first saw him some forty summers ago. He looked the same as now with may be a few facial lines and grey strands of hair missing. He was as taciturn and purposeful as he was today. I was just a few years old and still was not wiser to the ways of the world. I remember asking my dad what he was doing.  He replied in his customary nonchalance that it was a very important job and he was going after the especially bad insects that cause headache in our lives. I briefly felt sorry for the critters but very soon realized it was them or us. This was my first lesson on the theory of 'survival of the fittest'. I am still searching for a theorem of nature that is fair to all creatures but haven't found one yet!

My thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the man who announced proudly that the job was done. He looked like a war hero to me landing back home after a successful job on enemy territory. He gladly accepted the payment for his services politely refusing additional tips saying he will be back next quarter for the regular check-up. My heart felt overwhelmed with joy seeing the simple philosophy of the man who puts dedication to his profession above all else.

I was interrupted from my reverie once again by the man saying goodbyes to us all. As silently as he had arrived the man disappeared into his unseen, private world of intrigue, feeling proud that one more household was made safer for living. If one word can describe his philosophy towards life its Dedication. In his book D probably stands for Dedication!

No comments:

Post a Comment